Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Still Catching Up - Lady Bobcat Basketball 2012-2013

Lady Bobcat Basketball - "C" Team 2012-2013
 
Just by looking at this year's team photo, I think you can pretty much determine that I had a lot of fun with my kids this year. They were some very interesting individuals. They definitely had a passion for the sport. I was very glad to have coached them. To be honest, we didn't have much by way of talent, but we weren't short on any of the intangibles: Heart, determination, will, passion, great attitudes and very coachable. Unfortunately, we are not able to measure the gains this team made in the win-loss column. It's not fair to them. In fact, we one two games all season. We had a lot of almosts and moments of immaturity. That's why we get to be C-Team. :)
 
I admit we just don't have ball players where I live. The ones we do have are already on the varsity or on the jv teams. So, I get the arduous task of trying to catch-up everyone else's skill level about five years. Where I live, basketball just isn't as important as other sports like softball, soccer and football. Also, another hard fact is the kids don't realize how much close attention we pay to their grades. There's where we lose quite a few actual ball players. That will always be a never ending cycle. One of these generations, we'll get it right and the kids will get it. :) So until then, I will continue to coach and teach the kids who do follow the rules, make the grades and are willing to listen. Yes, they may not be the cream of the crop or the best of the best on the court, but they are the best in the classrooms and in life where their reward is so much greater.
 
I love these kids just as I do the team before them and the team before them. I have high hopes for each of them and push them very hard. I try to push them to their limit and see what I can get out of them. They haven't failed me yet. Instead of giving up and being angry with me or each other, they push on and find a way to make it work. They know that I demand and expect the best of themselves. That's exactly what they did. :)
 
I can only hope that these kids come back with open minds and a great attitude to be better than they were before. Because they know that as long as they are given the daily gift of life, there is always a chance to be better. I cant' wait for next season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment